Saturday, December 13, 2008

Clothes

So you don't really need to be a messenger or a hipster to have urban cycling apparel. If you have a certain type of clothes that you need to wear at work and you can't commute in the clothes you may want to think about some cycle specific clothing for said commute. In my scenario I have a fairly long commute that I don't always want to do because of lack of time or being hungover or.............. yeah, just being hungover really. So when I throw my bike on the front of the bus and sit next to that nice little old lady next to me I don't want to be in lycra / spandex / or any other "hamhock in a tubesock" material. I want to be in something that resembles clothing but that I can still ride in. Jeans and shorts are good for abit but if you're doing 40+ miles a day you will rub the skin off your nether regions in short order.

Many of these cycle specific clothing are Expensive with a capital E. I've got some Chrome kickers that are super comfy but cost an arm and a leg. A little known and excellent alternative is SWRVE Cycling Apparel. The Dynamic knickers are made from a material that’s stretchy and durable. Features like an articulated knee and seamless crotch make them more comfortable on the bike, as does the waistband that dips down in the front and stays high in the rear. The zippered rear pockets make sense for the urban rider, and the hip-mounted cell phone pocket is surprisingly secure and rather handy. The cut does seem to favor tall, thin people, so you may be best served buying them from a local retailer where you can try them on first

Swrve Dynamic KnickersAfter months of regular use, I’ve got very few nits to pick with these knickers. The fabric shows almost no visible wear and the seams are all intact. One complaint is that the button above the fly zipper popped off after just a few weeks. Swrve Dynamic KnickersTrue, I had been wearing the knickers three to five days a week, but it just seemed premature. Maybe it was bad thread, maybe my awesome gut could not be restrained. The other nit to pick is the $90 price tag. I got a significant price break, but you most likely won’t. Even at my cost, I could have bought a couple pair of pants and a six pack of PBR. But you get what you pay for, and in this case you’re paying for a high-performance specialty item that happens to put food on another cyclists’ table.

No comments: